One of my favorite dishes to make is lasagna. But because it’s loaded with delicious calories and carbs I tend to make it only 2-3 times a year. But with a few changes I’ve made my favorite dish slightly more forgiving on the calories. This turkey and zucchini lasagna is flavorful, easy to prepare, and worth every extra point I used on it!
My original plan was to use the zucchini as noodles but I didn’t find enough good looking zucchini to do that so that plan will have to wait. And if you try this with my bolognese sauce (recipe to come) I just know you’ll fall in love with this dish.
I think the best part of a lasagna is the re-heating factor. We made enough to serve 6 so we had lunch for the rest of the week! It tasted fabulous heated back up in the oven or the microwave.
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 3 cups bolognese sauce
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin coins
- 8oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella, plus more for topping
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, to top – optional
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Mix together cheeses and seasoning.
- Place ½ cup of sauce onto bottom of baking dish. Layer three noodles on top of sauce. Cover noodles with ½ cheese mixture. Layer on ½ of the zucchini coins then top with 1 cup sauce.
- Add 3 more noodles. Layer on the remainder of the cheese mixture, another layer of zucchini, and more sauce.
- Top the sauce off with the remaining 3 noodles, the rest of the sauce, and sprinkle with some mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Add a bit of Italian seasoning on top and cook in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.