Sweet Potato Zucchini Latkes

Sweet Potato Zucchini Latkes landscape

So this morning I was pulling out all of the veggies in our raised bed to make room for new plants. Our swiss chard and parsley were taking over one side of the bed and a weird plant I couldn’t identify was taking over the other.

I had pulled out the swiss chard and parsley and was just getting ready to pull out the weird plant when I found something… a sweet potato!

Now that was pretty weird because we hadn’t planted sweet potatoes in like 2 years. Somehow this little guy was buried under there and the unidentifiable plant was indeed a sweet potato plant!

So I did what any good gardener would do and thought of the perfect way to consume this awesome find. Sweet potato zucchini latkes! These ones are pretty healthy and I made them fit into my Nutrisystem plan. How awesome is that?

Sweet Potato in the garden

Sweet Potato Zucchini Latkes

• 1 whole egg
  • 1/2 zucchini, grated
  • 1 small sweet potato, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil or PAM

Mix together the zucchini, sweet potato, onion and egg. Preheat the pan to medium high heat and add olive oil (or spray with pam).

Using a scoop, scoop out a golfball size amount of the mixture and add to the pan. Cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.

Sweet Potato Zucchini Latkes in pan

Flip over latke and cook the other side until golden brown, another 4 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.

Serve with a little dollop of light sour cream and enjoy!

Makes 6 latkes

Nutritional Information (per two latkes):

126 calories | 23g carbs | 2g fat | 4g protein | 3g fiber

Sweet Potato Zucchini Latkes square

Comments

1. Elena
    Twitter: elenareviews

Wow, thanks! This I can eat! I fight breast cancer and I am not allowed to eat any meat or sugar….
    Elena recently posted..Color some crayonsMy Profile

2. Mariah says:

I love that you grew the sweet potatoes yourself and then turned them into a delicious meal! That has to be so satisfying!
    Mariah recently posted..Easy Fathers Day Gifts with TwoSmiles by HPMy Profile

3. amber says:

Love sweet potatoes thanks for the yummy recipe
    amber recently posted..Trout Creek Park Tuesdays Travels + linkyMy Profile

4. Staci
    Twitter: 7onashoestring

We totally need to start a garden! It must be nice to have fresh veggies to eat! Looks delicious!
    Staci recently posted..Pepperoni Monkey Bread Recipe with Country Crock Plus Giveaway #CookwithSpreadsMy Profile

5. Shannon (The Mommy-Files)
    Twitter: themommyfiles

These sound yummy! Never heard of them before. Thanks so much for sharing. :)
    Shannon (The Mommy-Files) recently posted..Travel: Sheraton María Isabel Hotel & Towers in Mexico CityMy Profile

6. I’ve really been itching to grow some of my own vegetables. This looks really tasty!
    Amanda @ Mommy of Two Little Monkeys recently posted..Top 5 Symptoms of PerimenopauseMy Profile

7. Jenn says:

I haven’t had those since my grandma was alive! I had totally forgotten about them! Thank you for reminding me! It put a huge smile on my face and I love that its a great gluten free breakfast option!
    Jenn recently posted..Monitor your child at any age! Motorola Baby Monitor #ReviewMy Profile

8. Jeannette says:

Oh my goodness! I need to make those now! I LOVE sweet potatoes and these look divine!
    Jeannette recently posted..Planning Fresh and Fabulous Meals All Week Long with Harris Teeter! #cbiasMy Profile

9. Jen
    Twitter: LiterallyJen

I’m not a fan of sweet potatoes unless they are a little crispy, so this sounds like the perfect dish for me. I hope to try it one day! Also love that it’s low calorie and can fit into your Nutrisystem plan!
    Jen recently posted..Book Review: The Lucky One by Nicholas SparksMy Profile

10. I agree with Staci, we really need to start a garden.

You have some great recipes, thank you for sharing.
    Colby Shipwash recently posted..Wordless Wednesday with Linky – Snow ConesMy Profile

11. Laura O in AK
    Twitter: LauraOinAK

I’ve never tried mixing zucchini and sweet potato before. I’ll have to give this a try as I love both vegetables.
    Laura O in AK recently posted..Beverly Lewis The Confession on DVDMy Profile

12. Ashley Sears says:

That is too funny. I am not a big sweet potato fan, but those actually look really yummy. I love zuchinni so I think I am going to have to give your latkes a whirl!
    Ashley Sears recently posted..Comment on Having a Date Night With my Son: Man of Steel Pre-Screening! by MariahMy Profile

13. Your recipes are wonderful. I would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. Foodieportal.com is a new food sharing site, we’re no photography snobs, we’re just foodies and we actually try hard to promote your pictures. At foodieportal.com all your food pictures will get accepted so I really hope you come and join us.

14. foodienewz says:

Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com. foodienewz.com is a new food sharing site and we actually try our best to promote your food photos. At foodienewz.com all your food photos will be published without any editorial review so I really hope you come and join us.
    foodienewz recently posted..Camp Cooking: Magic Layer PieMy Profile

1. [...] Sweet Potato Zucchini Latkes.  I had never thought to combine these two veggies.  I think the kids would eat these as [...]