Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe

I love summertime. For one we get to play outside later in the evening and secondly my mother-in-law is always sure to bring over some yummy (but very large) zucchini.

Figuring out ways to use up the zucchini is always fun and shredding it to put in baked goods and savory meals is usually the way to go. Especially since my son has a fascination with our food processor.

When searching for a recipe to use up some of our zucchini I stumbled upon a delicious looking muffin recipe. Chocolate and zucchini? Why it’s a match made in heaven!

This bread tastes exactly like a chocolate cake. My son would have had no clue that there was zucchini in it had he not been the one to help mix the ingredients together.

And the mini chocolate chips just add a bit of deliciousness and push this bread over the edge. Next time I might consider adding a few walnuts to the mix. Mmmm….

Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread

• 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3/4 cup regular egg substitute
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups zucchini, shredded
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, allspice and cinnamon; set aside.

In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar and applesauce. Beat in egg substitute until just combined. Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, zucchini and chocolate chips. Gently stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.

Divide batter equally among the two loaf pans. Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and muffin tops are springy to the touch, 45 to 55 minutes; rotating halfway through baking time. Cool loafs in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 20 | 4 WW+ Points

Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread - zucchini in food processor

Side Note: One LARGE freshly picked zucchini from my mother-in-law’s garden yielded this much shredded zucchini!

Comments

1. Anne says:

Sounds delicious! My kids probably wouldn’t even notice the zucchini in it.
    Anne recently posted..Organizing Ideas for Children’s Bedrooms from PledgeMy Profile

2. Pam says:

Oh yum! We really like Zucchini bread so this would be an even bigger treat.

3. I’ve never tried zucchini bread but this one looks so delicious!
    Isis @ Bay Area Mommy recently posted..$100 Amazon GC Giveaway (Instagram Blast)My Profile

4. Jessica A
    Twitter: ThenWere4

Ok I seriously MUST try this recipe! Normally, I make banana zucchini bread and put in a few mini chocolate chips but I just love the idea to add in the cocoa as well!
    Jessica A recently posted..Cheesy Potato Bacon Soup Recipe #VelveetaRecipes #CBiasMy Profile

5. Love this! Making a great Zucchini bread is the only way we can sneak zucchini into our diets as only the husband likes it. But we ALL love zucchini bread. isn’t that crazy?

6. Kelsey Apley says:

Yum Yum and Yum! LOVE Zucchini bread, never tried a double chocolate, sounds like I will be making it soon!

7. Adelina Priddis
    Twitter: HomeMaidSimple

Mm, I love zucchini bread oh so much! I’d love if you came and shared this on my Foodie Friday party
    Adelina Priddis recently posted..Venice’s Chicken #FoodieFridayMy Profile

8. Kari says:

I am available if you ever need a taste tester… :)
    Kari recently posted..Food Allergy Awareness from SharpMy Profile

9. Kari says:

I am available if you ever need a taste tester… :)
    Kari recently posted..Food Allergy Awareness from SharpMy Profile

10. Gosh this looks good and is such a great way to sneak in some extra veggies!
    Angela@AboutAMom recently posted..Internet Safety Month: Sprint Helping Kids Stay Safe OnlineMy Profile

11. Michelle says:

It looks divine, I am a chocoholic :)

12. Cariann
    Twitter: unvlmom

This looks so good. I can’t wait for our zucchini to start producing so I can bake with it.
    Cariann recently posted..Simple Lunch means happy kidsMy Profile

13. Tiffany C.

I want to make this now. Looks great, and I love that there are veggies in it.
    Tiffany C. recently posted..Handmade Monsters University #MonstersUPremiereMy Profile

14. Jamie @ Roubinek Reality
    Twitter: jmroubinek

I LOVE zucchini bread!! This looks so delicious!!
    Jamie @ Roubinek Reality recently posted..Top 5 Things to Kick Off Your Father’s Day Weekend #SeeSteelFirstMy Profile

15. Myndee
    Twitter: randommyn

You had me at double chocolate. :)
    Myndee recently posted..Best Job EverMy Profile

16. Sheila
    Twitter: livingsmartgirl

I am so drooling right now. I have never tried zuccinni bread, but have got to get the ingredients and make this.
    Sheila recently posted..Nutrisystem Week 12 #NSNation #AdMy Profile

17. Mark G says:

Mmmm. Double chocolate. Sounds delicious.

1. [...] Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread – Simmworks Family Blog [...]