One thing that has become very apparent these past two weeks is that it is, in fact, football season again. My tv is once again taken over and Sunday afternoons and Monday nights are filled with the sound of yelling and cheering.
I have to be honest though, I’m not really that into football. But I am into football food! The excuse to invite people over to sit around and eat appetizers and yummy bbq is just too enticing. And one of my favorite go to recipes to make is a delicious turkey chili with beans.
Not only is it quick and easy, it can simmer in the slow cooker all day and be used as needed for munching. Plus it’s versatile. We put chili on just about everything. Hot dogs, nachos, fries, etc. It makes just about anything better. And it’s low fat! That’s right. This recipe is filled with low fat turkey chili, tons of veggies, and spices and seasonings to create a flavor you will love.
Yesterday I headed out to Smart and Final to get the key ingredients for my turkey chili. I picked up some First Street ground turkey, First Street kidney beans, and lots and lots of veggies! Plus a few sides for the family to enjoy (including some yummy Blue Moon seasonal ale).
All of the fixings and sides for $30! Can’t beat that.
Turkey Chili with Bean
- 1 1/4 lb First Street Ground Turkey
- 1 can 48oz First Street kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1-2 yellow squash, diced
- 1-2 zucchini, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1-2 jalepenos, ribbed and seeded (unless you like your chili hot!)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili
- 2 teaspoons cayenne red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 1/2-1 bottle of beer of your choices
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat large skillet on medium. Divide ground turkey in half. Season with garlic powder and salt & pepper.
2. Brown turkey. Drain if it gets too watery as you are cooking so the meat doesn’t boil.
3. While waiting for the meat to finish cooking, chop up the veggies. Don’t worry about dicing finely. It’ll all meld together in the slow cooker.
4. Once the meat is cooked, add to the slow cooker. Add some olive oil to the pan and saute veggies in olive oil until tender. Drain kidney beans. Then add veggies and beans over meat in the slow cooker.
5. Pour 1/2 a beer over the mixture and enjoy the other half as you let the chili cook on low for 8-10 hours.
6. Once chili is cooked it will be thick and well combined.
7. Now that your chili is done, enjoy it by spooning some into a bowl and topping with some cheese, sour cream and diced onions.
Or enjoy a great heap on some hot dogs topped with cheese! Pair with your favorite drink and enjoy the big game. Cheers!
Disclaimer: I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Smart & Final. All opinions are my own. #CBias #SocialFabric